Sunday I will be asking these questions as I preach about Matthew 14. There are a few quotes too!
Get your feet wet
Sermon Notes & Questions
In Matthew 14, Jesus and the disciples seek to ________________ after hearing terrible news. Instead they end up ______________________ people.
Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray.
- What have you allowed Jesus to make you do?
Jesus went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
- Does Jesus always call us into __________harbors?
Matthew 16:24-25 “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.
Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
- When does Jesus still the storm?
- Do we need __________ when the sea is still or when waves buffet our boat?
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said.
- What sort of Leader does Jesus want?
- _________ came for bread! ____ got in the boat. ___ ________will walk on water.
“Being a Christian is less about cautiously avoiding sin than about courageously and actively doing God’s will.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Jesus did not pick a _________ leader
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.
- Will we step over the gunwales into _______________ or stay with the ____________ others tossed about in the ________________ of the boat?
- Will we take _________ for Jesus?